When I left the USA almost 10 months ago I had a few thoughts expectations for what Europeans would be like. While I’ve had enough time to reject certain stereotypes–the French are down to earth and the furthest thing from arrogant–and solidify others–the Irish will drink til Judgment Day–when I encounter Europeans who are meeting someone from California for the first time there are usually a handful of things on their mind. If there’s anything I missed in this list, feel free to add your own in the comments below!
1. You know how to surf, right?
2. So how often do you smoke?
3. You must live near Disneyland!
4. Palm trees…everywhere.
5. How many celebrities have you met?
6. You seem about the right shade of tan.
7. Wait, Arnold Schwarzenegger actually was your governor? That wasn’t a joke?
8. Maybe we can switch passports?
9. How does it feel to be part of the same country as Texas? (On second thought, keep your passport)
10. Now that you’re here, can you find my country on a map?